Register to Vote

Student voting in the elections

Shape your future beyond Herts


The General Election has been called for Thursday 4th July!

The deadline for registering to vote is Tuesday 18th June (23:59)


Check Your Eligibility > Register to Vote by Tuesday 18th June > Get Voter ID Ready by Wednesday 26th June > Vote on Thursday 4th July


Why register to vote?

By exercising your democratic right to vote, you will be able to...

  1. 1. Ensure your voice is heard at a national level
  2. 2. Show elective representatives what matters to you by voting for what you believe in
  3. 3. Drive the changes you want to see by voting for the party that best aligns with your beliefs

In turn, you will...

  •  Improve your credit score so that it's easier for you to get a bank loan or mortgage in the future
  •  Be able to access financial services more easily



Am I eligible to vote?

You're eligible to vote in the General Election if you are...


  •  18 years of age or more in England, Northern Ireland and Wales
  • or
  •  16 years of age or more in Scotland
  • and
  •  A UK or Irish citizen
  • or
  •  A qualifying Commonwealth citizen living in the UK. Find out more on this here
  • or
  •  A qualifying EU citizen living in the UK. Find out more on this here


Eligible to vote? Hooray! Read on to find out the different ways that you can register...



How can I register to vote?

Register Online

You can register online here by following the instructions provided. You may need your National Insurance number and/or your passport if you're a British citizen living abroad and hoping to vote in England, Scotland or Wales

If you're concerned about your safety, you can register anonymously here


Register by Post

You can register by post here. Simply find and complete the relevant form. Please note that there is a different form for registering by post in Northern Ireland which you can access here

Help! I don't know if I'm already registered to vote or not

If you're not sure if you're already registered to vote, you can check by getting in touch with your local authority. Enter your postcode here to find your local electoral registration office, then contact them directly

Where should I register to vote?

You'll be able to register to vote at both your home and term-time addresses. If your home and University address are in two different local authority areas, you'll only be able to vote in one of them for the General Election

As a reminder, you must make sure you've registered to vote at your current address. If you've changed address since you last registered, you will need to re-register

I'm still a little stuck

If you're still a little stuck, you can contact your Electoral Registration Office or pop into our office (just inside Hutton Hub on College Lane) for a helping hand. We're around from Monday to Friday, 10am - 4pm

For those with learning disabilities, you can find an easy read guide here



What do you mean by voter ID?

For the first time ever in a General Election, all voters must present an accepted form of photo ID at the polling station. If you do not bring this with you, you will not be allowed to vote

What counts as voter ID?

You can use any of the following accepted forms of photo ID when voting at the polling station:

  • Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA (European Economic Area) state or a Commonwealth country (including an Irish Passport Card) 
  • Driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state (this includes a provisional driving licence)
  • A Blue Badge
  • Disabled Person’s Bus Pass funded by the UK Government
  • A PASS card


Other accepted government issued documents include:

I don't have any forms of 'voter ID'. Is there anything else I can use?

If you don't have an accepted form of photo ID (as listed above), you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate on the government website. The deadline for this is Wednesday 26th June (17:00). You must have also registered to vote prior to applying for a Voter Authority Certificate

What if I don't have the ID on me?

You will need to show one form (and only one form) of photo ID at the polling station and it must be the original version. Photocopies, pictures or screenshots will not be accepted


Your Voice Your Choice