Housing Advice

Flat block


We're on hand to offer guidance about student housing.


Need help finding accommodation? Having problems with your housemates or landlord? Worried about safety? You've come to the right place. The Advice & Support team can help answer your questions. Simply get in touch with our team!

We've created a Housing Advice Guide with tips for how to enjoy a trouble-free tenancy. In addition to moving-in and moving-out checklists, you'll find handy information about:

Looking for accommodation to rent?

Check the list of PAL Accredited Landlords/Properties and make enquires

Ready to view a potential property?

Make sure you check everything thoroughly and ensure that the general condition of the house is satisfactory

Worried you’ll forget what to check on a viewing? Use our Viewing Checklist

Found a property?

Make sure that you read through the contract thoroughly before you sign it. Only sign if you are 100% happy that you have chosen the right property and any changes within the property have been agreed with the Landlord/Agent in writing

Make sure that your deposit is put into a Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme

Anything you’re not sure about? Get in touch

Unsure about Council Tax?

If your property is only occupied by full-time students then you'll be exempt from paying council tax. However, if one person is not a student - or is a part-time student - then the property will have to pay a certain percentage of the normal council tax amount for that property

Every full-time student needs to apply for Council Tax Exemption. Please follow the Council Tax Exemption Guide

Ready to move in?
  • 1. Contact the utility companies that the house is registered with and give them meter readings on the day that you move in. Make sure you have an in-date gas safety certificate too
  • 2. Complete the inventory for the house and take photos of the state of the house when you move in (noting all forms of wear and tear that weren’t down to you). Send the inventory to either the Lettings Agent or Landlord as soon as you can
  • 3. Purchase contents insurance to protect your belongings
  • 4. Update your address details on StudyNet and with the University’s Medical Centre (if you're registered there)
  • Follow our Check-In Guide for full details
Tenancy come to an end?

Make sure that you leave the property clean and tidy. If the property is left in a bad condition your deposit refund could be affected. Always make sure that you dispose of all your rubbish properly and do not leave any rubbish at or outside the property

Don’t know where to start with the end of tenancy cleaning? Follow our Check-Out Guide


If you would like to explore this subject further, you could check out the "Ready to Rent" guidance from the National Union of Students' (NUS).


Request an appointment