Complaints Advice

Notepad and pen


The Advice & Support team can support you through all stages of a complaint.

If you have a cause for complaint we strongly recommend that you contact an Academic & Welfare Advisor before taking any action. We're here to support you throughout the entire process.

Before lodging formal complaints, it is important to raise your complaint informally with the department your complaint relates to. If you're not sure about who best to submit an informal complaint to, you can speak to the SU Advice & Support Team and we can guide your next steps.

For formal complaints relating to university departments, the University's Student and Applicants Complaints Procedure (UPR SA16) is followed. 

For complaints relating to non-academic university departments, it is important to explore whether there is a local process in place for dealing with complaints (i.e. a process specifically related to that service area). If there is no local procedure in place for dealing with the complaint, or if you not sure, get in touch with us and we can provide further guidance.

When students seek support from the Advice & Support Team about complaints, we can guide students through the appropriate complaint procedures and provide ongoing support throughout the process.

Request an appointment


Important details to note about student complaints:

1. Complaints regarding university departments must be submitted within 3 (calendar) months of the "incident" taking place. You can read the University's Student and Applicants Complaints Procedure (UPR SA16) for full details about the process and specified deadlines. 

2. Once internal university procedure has been exhausted, complaints can be submitted to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education within 12 (calendar) months of the date stated on the "Completion of Procedures" (COP) letter which is issued by the university. 

3. When writing a letter of complaint it is important to include the following details:

  • - A full explanation of the incident written in chronological order; including key dates and specific details relating to the incident.
  • - Details of the full impact of the incident; covering (if appropriate) the personal, financial and/or academic impact of the incident.
  • - Details of the actions you have taken to try and rectify your complaint informally or locally. Also including details of what happened as a result.
  • - Details of the outcome you are seeking from your complaint and an explanation of why (it is important that these details are specific).

4. Our team can advise where students can submit complaints relating to issues with landlords, trading standards and consumer rights. If you are unsure about any details or processes, just ask!