The Society Committee Nominations Round 3 has opened and closes on Monday 30th May 2022 at 9am.
Societies are run by students in their free time. Every year Herts SU puts on a massive election to get students to come forward and nominate themselves to run a society.
Imagine you could be running your society with a team of students, deciding what events or trips you want to run next year!
Voting starts Wed 01/06/2022 at 10:00am to Mon 06/06/2022 at 09:00am.
Roles avalible for Black Empowerment Society are:
- Black Empowerment Society - Chair Person
- Black Empowerment Society - Inclusion Officer
- Black Empowerment Society - Secretary
- Black Empowerment Society - Treasurer
Benefits of being a society committee member:
- Full training provided
- You become a Student Leader
- Create fun events for your society
- Use venues all over campus
- Society grant funding
- Use on your CV!
- Certificate of Participation*
- Use on the Go Herts Award
How to nominate yourself
- Log into your student account on the Herts SU website
- Head to your society page and scroll to the bottom of the page
- Click on the Election
- Locate the role you want to nominate yourself for and click 'nominate yourself'
- Fill in the boxes with your information and upload a photo of yourself. Click on ‘review your nomination’
- You also have the option of adding a typed manifesto in the manifesto box (Explain why you are suitable for the role and why your society members should vote for you?)
- You will receive an email after you have nominated yourself. Your name will appear under the committee role once the voting begins.
Some roles are not put up for election as some students have already been elected into these roles in round one.
Make sure you nominate yourself for the role before the nomination period ends on Monday 30th May 2022 at 9am.
Elections rules can be found here
The Black Empowerment Society focuses on improving the quality of life on campus and enhancing equal opportunities for each individual. Our society would encourage cultural education and social awareness through dialogues and artistic presentations.
The students will have a safe trusted space within the campus where they can share and express themselves, but also grow within themselves. We will mainly be: Enforcing freedom of speech and creativity; allowing everyone to share their thought on different topics. But also touching on subjects that restrict togetherness between communities, encouraging empathy for different minority groups, and educating people about culture and the history behind it.
Every week we will be hosting new activities for students to join. This is to enforce togetherness and a sense of community within our society while focusing on our main goals well.
A seat around the table; This will be an activity mainly focussing on how certain recent situations have affected one another and this activity will give everyone the chance to speak up about it.
Education night; We will educate people about certain things in history or that we come across every day and evaluate how we can benefit or use them in a positive way.
Exposed; During this event, we will shine a light on the talent that has been underrated and give each person an equal chance to share their work of art.
Open mic night; This is an activity that will give members the chance to express themselves in any way shape or form. This will also give us a chance to pick people for ‘Exposed’
To sum it up
We know there are a lot of cultural societies out there that can be a great benefit to future collars. But one thing that none of them focus on is Black empowerment, a space that invites productive conversations around silenced themes such as; racial inequality, colorism, structural racism... We believe that that is a very important thing to raise awareness on as that can create a safe space on campus where Black and ethnic minority groups can share ideas that can enhance equal opportunities and dismantle social conversations and taboos that restrict a genuine sense of community.
Make sure to check out our socials to stay in touch:
If you have any suggestions or information you'd like to share with us that we can include in our activities make sure to reach out as well.
For business inquiries: